Sunday, October 5, 2014

So much to say, so little time to write it.


I am sitting on an old couch in my classroom. There are several people jamming on some instruments, writing book reports, or just chatting. I am finally sitting down with the few minutes I have this morning to process everything that has been going on!
The beginning of last week was extremely stressful for me. It started out knowing that I had to write a song for this weekend. Yep, I had to write a song. It was really hard, because almost everyone here plays piano and there are only two keyboards on base. I struggled to find time where I could get on the piano and get creative. I definitely felt (and still do) intimidated by all the amazing musicians here. There are some incredible songwriters/performers in this DTS and I was struggling to let go of my pride and just play what I had wrote. It ended up that instead of playing on Thursday, I was in the half of students that are playing today. I am so glad because I am a little more prepared to perform. Still a little nervous but I will let you all know how it goes!

Saturday, we went to Segundas. It is a whole bunch of second hand clothing shops with super good deals.
Our group stopped for a popsicle break!
 This past Friday night, I had the opportunity to go on a prayer walk in the red light district. The group of us started out with prayer on the roof that God would direct and protect us. Several students stayed behind to worship and intercede for us. The rest of us split into three groups and headed out. We walked around the block as we felt the Holy Spirit Lead. Walking past these bars and clubs with prostitutes standing outside broke my heart. Some of the buildings were guarded with security and had such a dark feeling about them. Several times my group felt the need to stop and pray over a building. We would pray for healing, for peace, that God would break down the walls, anything that He put on our heart. It was such a different experience to pray with your eyes open looking at strip club street taking in all of this sin. I felt like a soldier in the middle of a battle field. We did this for a little under an hour before heading back to the vans. While we were waiting for the last group we began to sing Our God is Greater as a declaration over the city. On our drive back we continued to sing praises over that area.  All the teams met again on the roof and told everyone what had happened within our groups. The worst street dead ends onto a tourist street and the one team felt the need to pray for a wall of angles to protect the innocent people walking past. The second team said they we praying over a specific building when this pimp ran up to them and started to yell. He began to curse and scream at them to leave. “You need to go… NOW!!! You are not welcome here! Go away! What are you going to do… start a church?” Over and over again the man ran around the circle yelling curses yet he never physically touched the group. As they began to walk away, the man followed. The team crossed a street and looked back. There stood this guy with a blank expression on his face, mouth hanging open. Excitement washed over the group as we realized that he had hit the wall of angles! God confirmed that evening that in the future a church would be planted on that street. So many things happened that I could fill a book with details. I hope that I have another opportunity to go again.
Surfing is harder than it looks like! Try, try again.

Yesterday, I tried surfing for the first time! I tried so many times, but I could never stand up completely and wiped out more times than I care to admit! I really want to try again so I can say that I’ve surfed in Mexico. Right now, I have basically just floated on a surf board. Haha… oh well, everything takes practice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment